Global River Alliance
The Global River Alliance is an initiative proposed by the Centre for River Affairs of South Asian Institute for Advanced Research & Development (SAIARD). This voluntary platform has been formed with a vision to promote the idea i.e. Rivers for All and We have to Think River Differently as well as to engage the power of some river intellectuals throughout the world in one unified platform.
River is not just an international figure but also a trans-boundary related matter. It plays a crucial role in supporting ecosystems, livelihoods, and the overall well-being of communities, making it imperative to collaborate and safeguard these lifelines for current and future generations. Its impact is not only confined particularly on those areas over which it flows but may reflect on other parts also. So we have to think it in a holistic manner.
SAIARD-GRA is that kind of platform which sends a message of development, prosperity, harmony and progress to the entire world on the basis of the development of our rivers health. We believe that this visionary alliance aims to unite countries and stakeholders worldwide to address the growing challenges faced by rivers, promoting their sustainable management, protection, and restoration.
The Global River Alliance is founded upon the following objectives:
Prima Foci of GRA: RIVER & SDGs
RIVER & SDGs, an initiative of CRA-SAIARD, has been designed to promote the vision of connecting River and its concept with the different verticals of SDGs , to bridge the gap between human and the riverine perception as well as to bring the academicians, scientists, policymakers & stakeholders in a single platform for the wellbeing of rivers throughout the world.
The Global River Alliance will undertake a range of activities to achieve its objectives:
- River Basin Assessments: Conduct comprehensive assessments of major river basins worldwide to identify critical issues and prioritize conservation efforts.
- Restoration Projects: Collaborate with local communities and organizations to execute river restoration projects, such as dam removals, wetland restoration, and riverbank stabilization.
- Research and Innovation: Support and fund research on river-related issues, including water quality monitoring, biodiversity conservation, and sustainable water resource management.
- Awareness Campaigns: Launch public awareness campaigns to educate people about the importance of rivers and foster a sense of responsibility towards their protection.
- International Conferences and Workshops: Organize conferences, workshops, and seminars to facilitate the exchange of knowledge and experiences among river stakeholders.
· Chairperson, SAIARD & Director, CRA
· Research Associate, SAIARD
· Former, Director General, NMCG, Ministry of Jal Shakti, Govt. of India
· Executive Engineer (A-I), WRI&DD, Govt. of West Bengal, India
· Official, NMCG, Ministry of Jal Shakti, Govt. of India
· Professor, University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
· Head – Policy Bridge Tank, AUDA-NEPAD, South Africa
· Madan Bhandari Memorial Academy Nepal, Urlabari-3, Morang, Nepal
· , Director of Egyptian Science ,Technology and Innovation observatory (ESTIO) Cairo, Egypt
· CEO Himalayan & Nepal Arts and Culture Society, Ireland
· CEO, Global Opportunities Commercialization, Australia
· Professor, University of Kelaniya, Former Director, SAARC Cultural Centre, Sri Lanka
· Medicina Senate: Medicina Alternativa – OIUCM; Consultant E.U.: International Legal & Operations Secretariat AUGP and Vice Chancellor Europe & International Director Young Scientists University, USA , Greece
· Director, Science and Technology Policy Research Institute (STEPRI), Council of Science and Industrial Research, Ghana
· Bhutan, Bhutan Ecological Society, Bhutan
· , Secretary General, Jamaica National Commission for UNESCO